Tuesday, March 30, 2010

When in Roma

Rome was the southernmost city on our trip and was definitely worth the drive. We arrived on Wednesday, March 10th and spent the longest time here(2 nights/1 day). The hotel was very nice, and, if I remember correctly, we even got to sleep in until 8:00! ha. Overall, it was a pretty exhausting stop as we raced around trying to see as much as possible. Here are just a few of the stops in our tour of Rome:


Colosseo
I think this one's been around a while...still standing after 2000 years. Unbelievable.


Pantheon
I caught myself just staring out the hole(oculus) in the roof...clouds passing by...and my class outside getting ready to leave. Oops.
Fun Fact of the Day: Largest dome in the world for 1700 years


Last, but not least...The Vatican

Vatican City was the last place we visited, and even though we ran into a little bad weather(okay, a hailstorm), it was incredible. The entire complex was just so...humbling. I also had no idea that St. Peter's Basilica was that massive. It was amazing to see all of the time, effort, and money put into such a holy place.

It's hard to say whether Rome was my favorite city, but there is just so much history there to forget any of it. The best part was definitely seeing all the famous monuments and buildings. Now, I just really want to watch Gladiator and Angels & Demons...

2 comments:

  1. the columns at the Pantheon were gianormous were't they?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kyle
    Ulli Gibson here (MCHS) . Your mom shared your address with me . I have been following your journey with interest and think it's absolutely G R E A T that you are able to experience Europe for a few month .
    I am in Germany myself right now showing my niece your page ( she does her studies in Passau ) .......if you need another connection for travel , lodging ect look her up on facebook..naugatuck19@aol.com.......enjoy your travels..be safe !

    ReplyDelete